Tuesday, May 22, 2018

哇太花 (Wow to Flowers)

Mandarin District: Cannon, Hadden, Leung, Furness
Dear all,

Well, the transfer call came, and my prediction was totally wrong. Turns out Elder Leung and Elder Furness are both staying in Mandarin Central, Elder Cannon is staying in Mandarin West, and I'm going to Ottawa. I can't say I would have expected it, but I am pretty excited to get out of the branch, and Quebec, for a while. 

The area I'm going to is Dow's Lake YSA Chinese. It's an English YSA branch, but has a few Mandarin investigators and members. It's been doing really well the past few transfers (I'll get to why in a second), so I'm pretty excited to get out there and help to keep that good streak going. 

My companion will be the mission-famous Elder Gauthier. Elder Gauthier is a Mandarin speaking missionary from France (I actually went on an hour long exchange with him on my first day in the field, so I sort of know him already). He was Elder Cannon's MTC companion, so he'll be dying with Elder Cannon at the end of next transfer. He's about 25, the oldest missionary currently serving here, and has a Masters degree in diplomacy from some big university in the eastern US. He speaks 5 or 6 different languages, and can read both ancient Greek and Latin. The guy is crazy smart and has served as both a zone leader and an AP here. Despite all that, what he's most well-known for is being relentless in contacting and unceasingly energetic. I honestly have no idea how he manages to put as much energy as he does into the work, and I don't think anyone else does either. Even though he seems like he would be super intimidating, he's pretty nice (he's a diplomat both in personality and education). 

This is pretty much just what I've heard from other people about him, as well as a little bit of what I've seen in person. I'm really curious to see what he's actually like to work with. It should be a good transfer, and I'm sure I'm gonna learn a ton. 

Anyway, Elder Gauthier has been in Dow's Lake for three transfers now (hence why it's been doing so well. The guy is a machine, from what I hear), the last 2 transfers he's been training Elder Burton (a missionary from Salt Lake who I coincidentally went to elementary school with). Elder Burton is coming to replace me in Mandarin West with Elder Cannon. It was an interesting transfer. No one was really expecting it, but it should be a good one. We'll see how it goes.

As of Thursday, my mission record will be 8 companions in just over 4 transfers, with 4 areas and 4 moves. That's pretty much the same as Elder Cannon's record will be when he leaves (except for the number of transfers).

Au revoir, Montreal.
On Sunday I said goodbye to everyone in the branch, since I won't see them for a while. With any luck, I'll come back to the branch before I go home. It was sad to say goodbye, but I'm pretty sure I'll come back. Honestly though, given my current experience, anything could happen to me. 

Cedric took Elder Cannon and me for a walk along the shore of the St. Lawrence this morning since it was my last P-day on the island.

That's it for me.

Love you all

Elder Hadden
于 2018年5月22日周二 下午2:36写道

A plant that Cedric gave me

The St. Lawrence

Cedric and me

A goose family on the St. Lawrence




















Rapids on the St. Lawrence
Me in front of a rapids on the St. Lawrence

No comments:

Post a Comment