Wednesday, March 20, 2019

Dear all,

Well, I am here. Granby. Home of 60,000 people, a whole lot of maple trees, and the only zoo in Québec. It feels like a small town, with a zoo, and a bunch of French people. As far as I can tell, the only tourism Granby gets is either for the zoo, or the maple syrup.

Despite the small size, there are a surprising amount of immigrants here. Most are from Haiti or West Africa, but there are also a decent few from Latin America. Most québécois people hate any kind of organized religion (look up the "quiet revolution"), so we teach mostly immigrants. Africans and Haitians speak much better French than québécois do, so I'm not complaining.

The branch here is really small. There were only about 20 members at church in Sunday. Everything was in French, and they asked me to introduce myself and bear my testimony, so I went up there and choked through it. I honestly think my first testimony in the mandarin branch was more coherent, but at least I made it through. Everyone was pretty understanding about it (they all speak English anyway).

Yesterday, we had our zone conference. We had to drive a full hour back to just outside of Montreal. It was another standard zone conference. No complaints. The food was good. I felt inspired. I got to have an interview with President afterwards, and then we drove back to Granby to eat dinner with a québécois couple in the branch. After the dinner, they gave us maple syrup on fresh snow since it's that time of year. It was a delightful dinner, and I got a chance to both practice my French and learn a lot about Québec history.

I'll give a better account of what we do here next week when I actually figure it out.

Love you all. 

Elder Hadden


Elder Burton and I went to a natural history museum at McGill last week. 
1. This is a fo' real mummy.
2. This is the whole museum. It was small, but it had a lot of character. 


No comments:

Post a Comment