Tuesday, November 21, 2017

Elder Chan Gets His Christmas Present

If you noticed in the last blog post, Elder Hadden mentioned that his companion, Elder Chan from Birmingham, UK, was going to be at Temple Square  yesterday, along with other missionaries from outside the United States.  This was of interest to me, because I had a Christmas present for him, and wasn't sure where to send it.

So I went home and wrapped his present in two layers of wrapping paper (the interior one has a warning not to open until Christmas) and went downtown to Temple Square.  

The first thing I saw when I went in the gate of Temple Square was a large group of Elder and Sister missionaries.  I asked their leader if these people were from the MTC.  He said they were, but that they couldn't stop as they were on a tight schedule.  So I walked along with them and asked the group if Elder Chan was amongst them.

No answer.

Not deterred, I approached an Asian Elder and asked him if he was Elder Chan.  He replied that he was not, but pointed out another Asian Elder and said that was Elder Chan.  I approached this Elder, held out my hand, and introduced myself as Rose Hadden.  "You're my companion's Mum!" he exclaimed.  We shook hands.

I gave him is Christmas present (all the missionaries cheered!) and an orange, explaining that this was a family tradition for Christmas.  He thanked me profusely.  We talked about where he was going (Calgary) and some other things.  At the Visitor's Center, his companion-for-the-day took our picture, and I include it here:

Me and Elder Chan at Temple Square 20NOV17
He seemed embarrassed, so I wished him a Merry Christmas and left him to enjoy his tiny view of the United States.

No comments:

Post a Comment