Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Food, Food, and an Adventure in the Metro this Morning

Well, it's me again, coming to you live from the Great White North.

It's been an exciting week, and not just because of Christmas. Last week we were busy going to Christmas activities and preparing for the big day. On Saturday, we spent the morning singing Chistmas carols for really, REALLY old (some of them were over 100!) Cantonese people in the Montreal Mandarin Hospital. They didn't speak Mandarin, but the writing system is the same, so at least we could give them cards that said Merry Christmas, or 圣诞快乐. 

That evening we had the opportunity to go to a fireside from Brother and Sister Chen, the branch mission leader and his wife, about their mission in China. They're from Taiwan and, at least as far as the Chinese government is concerned, Taiwan is China so they could actually serve there. It was really cool to hear that the Church actually does exist in China, even if it's small and spread out. A lot of the members there were baptized outside and then returned to China. It's really cool to think that I'm helping to build the church in China.

Christmas was good. We called home in the morning and then went to lunch in China Town with Alice. After lunch, she bought a riduculous amount of food and we went back to her apartment for dinner. I was still full from lunch, but she just kept making food. I ate as much as I could before I was almost sick and then had to stop. She gave us the left-overs. I don't ever want to eat Chinese food ever again.

This morning was really exciting. As Elder Tsai and I were hurrying to get on the Metro, I slipped and dropped my wallet. Being in a rush, I didn't notice until we were two stations away. We went back to look, but someone had taken it. So much for Canadian manners, eh? 

Anyway, I got to call home again to make sure that my account was frozen (I dropped my wallet basically in a mall on a day that's the Canadian equivalent of Black Friday), and then went to the mission office to figure everything else out. Everything is fine. I'll be good. Elder Tsai still has enough mission money to feed us until I get a new card and besides that, we have enough food in our 'fridge to live comfortably for at least a month. 

That's the news from me this week. Hope you all have a good week.

Elder Hadden

Montreal subway

No comments:

Post a Comment