Tuesday, June 11, 2019

Life in Gatineau

Last selfie with Elder Kunzler
Dear All,

For the first time in months, I have a real computer to write emails on. I was getting pretty sick of using my phone every week. 

Well, I'm in Gatineau, back in the wonderful Canadian capital district. I can see Parliament from our apartment (we're pretty far away from it, though). We've taken a couple trips down to Ottawa already, which took us right next to the Dow's Lake apartment, down Rideau Street, and right to the Rideau Center. It felt exactly like it did when I was there a year ago. It was kinda nice to go back, but also kinda nice to be on the other side of the river.

Gatineau seems pretty much like Granby except it's bigger and right next to a major English-speaking city. The ward here is a lot bigger than the Granby Branch, and all the members are just as Quebecois. It's interesting to actually have a Primary and Youth. I bore my testimony in Sacrament meeting, and afterwards a lot of members came up to me and complimented me on my French. After I bore my testimony in Granby for the first time, everyone said, "French is very hard. Keep trying," so I think I can assume that I have at least learned how to bear a testimony in French in the past three months. I'd call that improvement. 

As far as I can tell so far, most of the people we're teaching in the area are African refugees. I'm really not surprised, because most Quebecois are very not interested in religion. That's pretty much how it was in Granby too. 

Yesterday morning we ate breakfast with one of the members. Two of his daughters were in Dow's Lake YSA while I was there. It was nice to see a somewhat familiar face. He made us the Quebecois delicacy that is cheesy crepes with maple syrup. They tasted pretty good, but weren't so good in my stomach. 

Also, I discovered this week that the one and only Vincent Muetzsche has moved to Gatineau! Now he can feed me without having to drive for two hours and I can continue to make fun of him for being from SoCal. (He's a fake Canadian and an even faker Quebecois, but don't tell him I said that).

Love you all, 

Elder Hadden




No comments:

Post a Comment